Sunday, July 18, 2010

At peace

When I was a child we had a small picture in our kitchen. It was of Jesus and it read "He is our Peace." As a child I always thought they had misspelt it and it should have read "Here is our Place." How the child mind works!

It's been quite a few years now that I have been conflicted and even guilty about where I feel at peace. I don't mean the place, like the church, the hairdresser etc, but the place where you feel it when you walk on the earth, when you breath the air, when you smell the surrounds.

From my experience, you don't choose it, it chooses you. You don't plan it, aim for it or have it as a goal - it overtakes you.

Gradualy I am accepting where I feel at peace. I was almost relieved when Prince Harry recently stated that he feels most at peace in Africa. It gave me the feeling that I wasn't alone in feeling at peace in a land that I wasn't born in, a land that I didn't grow up in, that I had no connection to until my adult life.

I did months of research, read countless blogs, looked at many photos and listened to a lot of talk about Armenia before we went there. But nothing could prepare me for the overwelming feeling I had when I put foot on its soil, breathed its air and absorbed the live culture.

Armenia is where I feel most at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment